- It is an anabolic process.
- Carbohydrates are synthesized.
- Light energy is stored in the form of glucose or chemical energy.
- The amount of CO2 in the air decreases during photosynthesis.
- It takes place only in chlorophyllous cells.
- It occurs only in the light.
- The dry weight of the plant increases.
- Photophosphorylation occurs.
- 6CO2+12H2O——–> + sunlight+ chlorophyll+C6H12O6+6O2+6H2O
- It is a catabolic process.
- Carbohydrates are oxidized.
- Energy is liberated in the form of ATP.
- The amount of CO2 in the air increases during respiration.
- It takes place in all the living cells, both green and non-green.
- It occurs in light and dark, both conditions.
- The dry weight of plants decreases.
- Oxidative phosphorylation occurs
- O2 is utilized and CO2 and H2O are formed C6H12O6——→6CO2+6H2O+ENERGY
- It takes place only in the presence of light.
- This occurs only in green cells.
- The respiratory substrate in Photorespiration is 2-carbon glycolic acid.
- The respiratory substrate is immediately formed.
- It occurs among chloroplast, cytoplasm, peroxisome, and mitochondria.
- During Photorespiration, hydrogen peroxide( H2O2) is formed.
- ATP molecules are not synthesized.
- NADH is oxidized to NAD+
- The process of transamination occurs during Photorespiration.
- It depends upon O2 concentration and is directly proportional to it.
- Its maximum rate is between 25℃-35℃.
Differences between Respiration and Photosynthesis
|It is a catabolic process.||It is an anabolic process.|
|Carbohydrates are oxidized.||Carbohydrates are synthesized.|
|Energy is liberated in the form of ATP.||Light energy is stored in the form of glucose or chemical energy.|
|The amount of CO2 in the air increases during respiration.||The amount of CO2 in the air decreases during photosynthesis.|
|It takes place in all the living cells, both green and non-green.||It takes place only in chlorophyllous cells.|
|It occurs in light and dark, both conditions.||It occurs only in the light.|
|The dry weight of plants decreases.||The dry weight of the plant increases.|
|Oxidative phosphorylation occurs||Photophosphorylation occurs.|
|O2 is utilized and CO2 and H2O are formed C6H12O6 ——→ 6CO2+6H2O+ENERGY||6CO2+12H2O ——–> sunlight+ chlorophyll+C6H12O6+6O2+6H2O|