UPSC – ESE [Engineering Services Exam]
General Studies & Engineering Aptitude Syllabus
The standard of paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Preliminary Stage-I Examination) is such as may be expected of an Engineering or Science Graduate. The standard of papers in other subjects is approximate to that of an Engineering Degree Examination of an Indian University. There is no practical examination in any of the subjects.
General Studies and Engineering Aptitude is common to all candidates.
The questions from the following topics are covered:
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, Climate Change, Environmental impact assessment
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance, and technology-based education.
- Ethics and values in the Engineering profession
The paper in General Studies and Engineering Aptitude includes Knowledge of relevant topics as may be expected from an engineering graduate, without special study. Marks for each Topic may range from 5% to 15% of the total marks in the paper.
The question paper is of objective type, common to all candidates. The duration is 2 hours and the maximum marks are 200.
UPSC – ESE [Engineering Services Exam] Previous Year Question Papers
Source: | UPSC |
Read More on UPSC – IES [Engineering Services Exam / Indian Engineering Service]:
UPSC | ESE – Engineering Services Exam
ESE – General Studies & Engineering Aptitude Syllabus
Engineering Specific Syllabus
| ESE – Civil Engineering Syllabus | | ESE – Mechanical Engineering Syllabus |
| ESE – Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering Syllabus |
| ESE – Electrical Engineering Syllabus |